Has your skin lost its glow? Are you struggling with acne scarring? Or maybe you’ve noticed more fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots popping up. If so, it may be time for some skin-loving rejuvenation with microneedling.
Microneedling targets a wide variety of skin issues by using the body’s own restorative powers. It can make your skin look brighter, tighter, and smoother restoring your natural glow in just a short time.
What is microneedling?
Microneedling is a minimally invasive cosmetic dermatological procedure that boosts collagen and revitalizes the skin. It’s formally known as ‘Collagen Induction Therapy’ (CIT) because each treatment restores up to a year’s worth of lost collagen while also improving the overall appearance of your skin.
So how does it work? Microneedling involves introducing thousands of microchannels into the skin with small, sterilized needles. This stimulates your body to activate its own natural wound healing mechanism stimulating the production of collagen and elastin which rejuvenates your skin from the inside out.
There are three phases in the wound healing process:
- Inflammation: Introducing microchannels into the skin using a medical-grade microneedling device stimulates your immune system to increase blood flow which removes debris and cleans up the deep layers of the skin. This is the first step in creating new tissue.
- Proliferation: As the ‘wound’ is repaired, granulation cells contribute to the growth of the extracellular matrix and new vascular structures. This is the structural base for new tissue growth.
- Remodeling: the final step in the rejuvenation process is the creation of new dermal tissue and vascular supply leading to skin rejuvenation.
Microneedling stimulates the growth of collagen and elastin which helps to fill fine lines, improve acne scars, smooth out large pores, and brighten the skin. The result is a fresher-looking you with plumper, smoother, and more youthful-looking skin.
Benefits of microneedling
The benefits of microneedling are broad, lasting, and can address:
- Dull texture, tone, or ‘low glow’
- Acne and deep acne scars
- Fine lines
- Uneven skin texture
- Large pores
- Minor skin laxity
- Stretch marks
- Sun damage
- Dark spots or skin discoloration (hyperpigmentation)
Why choose microneedling?
A microneedling procedure takes on average 30-60 minutes and is generally considered painless. It is popular with patients and physicians because it is safe, effective and the results are lasting.
What to expect with microneedling?
Your doctor will apply numbing cream on the treated area so you may not feel the procedure. Then your doctor will use a medical-grade microneedling device to apply the microneedles to the treatment area.
Your doctor may offer you post-procedure products to optimize your healing.
Microneedling is safe on all skin types. This makes it an excellent option for patients with darker skin tones for whom laser and other treatments may not be safe.